If an Indian tribe, worked through each of the bureaucratic process using the Bureau of Indian Affairs and might build an online casino in downtown Enid, will you be for or against it? If you live in Enid and occasionally visit other casinos across the state, it is likely you run into others you know from Enid, partaking within the recreation supplied by the casinos. These are the same some people that have left our town and they are spending their recreation dollars elsewhere. They are shopping with the stores, eating with the restaurants, and staying on the hotels inside the area.
A brief history:
The power to run bingo games was one of the numerous concessions designed to tribes in Oklahoma. Then some very ingenious person created a bingo game that looked like a slot machine. We have seen small digital bingo card on the top corner from the display screen of the slot machine game. From that invention forward, Oklahoma casinos started to spring up everywhere. After all, you are still playing bingo, just inside a new and technical way. Later, a gaming compact involving the tribes along with the State of Oklahoma allowed the usage of Vegas style video poker machines, poker, and blackjack. Thus, bigger and casinos were built and are still being built throughout Oklahoma.
A casino are only able to be built within historic tribal boundaries and after that placed in the trust using the U.S. government. Since Enid doesn't have any casino, would be that the reason? Then upon researching Garfield County, Oklahoma via Wikipedia, it was found, that prior to the Land Run of 1893, Garfield County was named O County and was part with the Cherokee Outlet, occupied from the Cherokee people following Treaty of New Echota and the Cherokee trail of tears. Historically, the region was a hunting ground from the Wichita, Osage, and Kiowa tribes. Does that qualify us to within historic tribal boundaries?
Positive areas of a casino in Enid:
1. The revenues generated from casinos are delivered to operate tribal governments and programs due to the citizens. In addition, a portion in the revenue is split with the State of Oklahoma.
2. Tribes use the revenues to improve infrastructure.
3. Related sightseeing attractions are built.
4. Jobs are set up.
5. The added income and influx of tourists increase retail trade.
6. Promotes tribal economic development.
7. The casinos donate to local charities.
8. A survey of casino patrons found out that over 80 percent with the visitors to casinos were considering also doing something besides gambling. So the casino becomes an anchor for other tourism attractions including family water parks.
9. The casinos create new lines of cooperative economic development between American Indians and non-Indian business owners.
10. Casinos give a magnet for website outside money that did not previously exist.
11. Local resident who employed to travel outside with the area now stays within the location.
12. More construction jobs are made building casinos.
13. Gambling is an accepted means for governments to improve funds. It is seen as an source of money that is certainly easier to obtain because it's not a tax on individuals.
14. In several communities the next businesses showed an surge in profits, attendance, and customers after an online casino came to their area:
a. Retail stores
c. Local arts and crafts shows
d. Hunting and fishing activities
e. Horse trail rides
f. Festivals and events had higher attendance
g. Movie theaters
h. Historical sites were visited more often
i. Scenic drives
j. Walking trails
k. Water parks
l. Biking trails
m. Roller skating
n. Fitness centers
Negative elements of a casino in Enid
1. Tourism dollars hinge about how well the casino pays out. Winners may spend freely, but losers may return purchases and cut their hotel stays short.
2. For some gambling becomes a dependency.
3. Gambling kills time, and subtracts from time spent on useful endeavors.
4. Locally-owned businesses go bankrupt because consumers have changed their expenditures to casinos.
5. Wealthy Indian gaming tribes pour vast amounts into political campaigns at both state and federal levels. (Source: Special Investigation by Donald L. Barlett and James B,. Steele, Time Magazine, December 2002.)
6. Wealthy Indian gaming tribes will also be influencing gambling and also other policies affecting Native Americans by handing a lot to influential lobbying firms. (Source: Special Investigation by Donald L. Barlett and James B, Steele, Time Magazine, December 2002.)
7. In towns with casino's, there is surely an increase inside following:
e. Domestic violence
f. Drug and alcohol addiction
What is Gambling Addiction?
Gambling addiction is named an action addiction. When gambling, the hormones, adrenaline and endorphins, are self-produced. As the person gambles more frequently, it brings about tolerance to the adrenaline and endorphins, so it takes more gambling and better stakes, to obtain the equal high. Recent studies show that slot machine game gambling lights up the human brain the same way that cocaine does. (Source: Stop the Casino 101 Coalition)
If a casino were to petition arrive at downtown Enid, what would be your opinion? Do you think it could enhance our community or bring social problems we may not want to cope with?